ads

Slider[Style1]

Slider[Style2]

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

Hesitating to sign up for Muay Thai because you feel that you aren’t athletic enough to take on this ‘hardcore’ sport? Or are you hesitating because you feel that you can’t have the time commitment?



Leading a hectic lifestyle today, we conveniently state a few excuses to brush off the idea of exercising. Just 2 years back, I was one of those who refused to accept the idea of working out as a lifestyle routine. Simply because of a multitude of reasons, I was never athletic since young; Muay Thai looks too ‘hardcore’ for me; and I’m afraid I’d make a fool out of myself and of course, by far the most common excuse– I have no time for Muay Thai.

Before and after. A stark transformation.

I didn't deliberately chose to start Muay Thai. It all started on this very fine Sunday late morning in September 2012 when I had to make my way to a Muay Thai gym where a friend of mine was training. No, I wasn’t there for a class. And no, I wasn’t there for a trial. I was just purely there to wait for a friend. So as I was early, I sat at the side of the ring, watching the trainees all geared up in shin pads and gloves, ready for a sparring session. It then struck my mind that, “Hey! That doesn’t look as ‘hardcore’ as I thought it would be. I mean, if these girls could manage going through the whole session of training and sparring, I’m sure I can do it as well right?”

However, that thought wasn’t strong enough to purge me out of my comfort zone to take the first step in signing up for a trial. The feeling then was probably common amongst everybody. It was like "huh, don't want lah." It was only after months of mental struggle and persuasion, that I finally took up my first Muay Thai trial in January 2013, simply because New Year calls for a New Year resolution. I wasn’t having any expectations out of the trial; all I could hope for with my fingers crossed was that I don’t make a fool out of myself in front of the other trainees.

Fast forward to 2015, I have been practicing Muay Thai for 2 years and throughout these years, Muay Thai hasn’t been just a hobby but it has been my lifestyle routine. From the usual 1.5hrs of training to the full 3hrs fight prep training session, this sport has brought my mental and physical limits to a whole new level. Yes, I do compete. And if you are admiring that I have the luxury of time to commit to the training routine, don’t be. Like many of you, I’m a full time working executive, and besides that, I’m a full time undergraduate student as well. My career, given its competitive nature, requires me to be consistently on the ball, and these three aspects of my life - career, studies and Muay Thai definitely each requires a reasonable amount of time commitment. It definitely wasn’t the easiest thing to manage, especially, when I was preparing for my fight. That points back to the most common excuse of “ I have no time for....”. Isn’t that the lousiest excuse as well?

Progression.
Well, if I had the chance to go back in time and change one thing that I regret, I would take up this sport much earlier! But ladies, it’s never too late! Despite my hectic schedule, training after work has always been a great joy to me; it’s this family that adds a pleasant note to end my day well without fail each time. Looking forward, I believe this family will just continue to enrich my Muay Thai journey and bring it up to a whole new level.

About Onyx MMA

Onyx MMA is a mixed martial arts gym situated at West Coast Singapore. We pride ourselves in a fun, inclusive and tough training environment. Onyx is a family, and a second home to many.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

1 comments:

  1. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.


    Asia slim

    ReplyDelete


Top