ads

Slider[Style1]

Slider[Style2]

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

Hi All, it's been a while since I last wrote. Today we are going to do an interview with Onyx MMA's BJJ coach, Shinya KAKITA. With the recent collaboration of Synergy BJJ MMA Bali and Onyx MMA Singapore, Shinya is our newest addition to the Onyx family. We are going to get to know this awesome instructor a little better.


Onyx: Hi Shinya, can you please introduce yourself to the BJJ community at Onyx MMA?

Shinya: Hi, My name is Shinya KAKITA. I'm from Tokyo, Japan. I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Niko Han. I began training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu on the 4th July 2008 at Synergy MMA BJJ in Bali, Indonesia. I received myTo blue belt from Niko Han on June 30th 2009. In October 2010, I started Boxing under Ahmad Mandan at Mirah Boxing Camp in Bali, Indonesia. I moved to Singapore in February of 2012. I received my purple belt from Niko Han on October 5th, 2012


Onyx: What is your BJJ story?

Shinya: I started BJJ while I was posted not Indonesia,. Bali to be exact. I was browsing through the internet and found Synergy MMA BJJ. So, I called up the instructor on his cell phone and visited his class, immediately I knew what I was looking for and I joined the next day.

So far, I have participated in Djarum Super Java Submission Championship 2009 (Silver), Djarum Super Indonesia Submission Championship 2010 (Silver), ADCC Philippines Championship 2013 (Bronze), South East Asian Grappling Challenge 2014 (Bronze) and South East Asian Grappling Challenge 2014 (Gold)

Onyx: Please tell us about the academy that you started BJJ in Bali.


Shinya: I started BJJ in Bali under Nikon Han of Synergy MMA BJJ. Synergy MMA BJJ (Synergy Jiu-Jitsu Academy®)is the first academy in Indonesia that offers world class trainings in the Arts. Synergy has produced notable fighters in MMA/One FC scene such as Francino Tirta, Max Metino, Casey Suire, Leo Krishna, Steger Rahardian, Vincent Majid and Yohan Mulia Legowo.

Head Instructor Niko Han is a black belt under Dickson Gracie who received his black belt from Mark Limon. Niko Han is a certified BJJ Black Belt under Rickson Gracie  and the Jiu-Jitsu Global Federation and the founder of Synergy Jiu-Jitsu Academy® in Indonesia. He started his training under Rickson Gracie in Los Angeles, which inspired him to open and expand his teachings of Rickson Gracie and Mixed Martial Arts in Indonesia. Niko established Synergy Jiu-Jitsu Academy® on July 2003 and later founded the Indonesian Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation and the Indonesian Grappling Federation. He has been organising BJJ, Submission Grappling and MMA events and seminars throughput the nation since 2005. He is a wonderful instructor to train under and also a friend. Niko often hang out with the boys. He treats every student as his good friend and shares his knowledge of the Art with every student equally.

Onyx: Do you have any advise or pointers for our BJJ newbie here at Onyx MMA?

Shinya:  It's all about baby steps... and it's never too late bro, it's just the beginning! This applies to all levels.

Whenever you get tapped out, identify what you did wrong and work on it so it won't happen again. Every time I get tapped out, of course I'll be a bit upset with myself but I always get excited to fix it and ask the guy who tapped me and instructors how they did it and how to prevent it.

Then I keep training with the guy until he can't tap me with the same move anymore. Problem solved. :)

Remember, training at the Dojo (Onyx MMA) is not a competition, it's time to experiment and try new things out, strengthen your weaknesses so they become your strengths.


If you every roll as if it's a competition , you will never progress because you never try new things out and only  rely on your 'money' moves that you are already good at.

If I get taped, it makes me hungry to fix it so I don't make the same mistakes again. This is exactly what I was taught by my master, Niko Han.

Onyx: Alright Shinya, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. We will meet on the mats soon.

Shinya: Thank you Onyx. See you soon on the mats. Remember that BJJ is actually all about self-defense and that is how it should be taught, all based on 'street ' no-rules mentality  situations as no one is technically prepared for it but it can easily be tested in a sport-environment with rules and regulations. BJJ is designed for smaller and those who are not gifted with superior physical traits to  defeat larger band stronger opponents in real life

I think practioners of the art should realise that competition is an good place to test those skills in a safe, non-lethal environment.

So if you are looking at learning a new art or maybe or maybe learning a bit of self-defense, come join us every Monday to Friday at 630pm at Onyx MMA or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by Shinya KAKITA

See ya!!!

About Onyx MMA

Onyx MMA is a mixed martial arts gym situated at West Coast Singapore. We pride ourselves in a fun, inclusive and tough training environment. Onyx is a family, and a second home to many.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments:

Post a Comment


Top